Colour: Deep blue flecked with white and gold. Denim Lapis is a lighter Lapis Lazuli with more white from calcite. Made from a combination of minerals, including Lazurite, Calcite and Pyrites. The "gold" in the Lapis is caused by Pyrites inclusions.
Hardness: 5 - 6
Meaning of the Word Lapis: "blue stone" from Latin and Persian or Arabic.
Keywords: Truth, Inner Power, Organization, Royalty
Egyptian cultures made a practice of burying a Lapis Lazuli scarab with their dead, and believed it to offer protection. The very earliest cultures valued Lapis Lazuli more highly than gold. Greeks spoke of an ancient sapphire which was included with gold, and this was unmistakably Lapis. Some believed that dreaming of Lapis would foretell love that would be forever faithful. It is included around the eyes of King Tut's mask.
The ancient Egyptians used Lapis Lazuli as a symbol of truth.
Sources of Lapis Lazuli
Can be found in Chile, the Soviet Union, the United States, but most significantly from the mountains of Afghanistan. The products/ pictures above are from Afghanistan.
- stimulate the higher levels of the mind encouraging clarity and objectivity
- allows the release of stress, bringing deep inner peace
- facilitates self-knowledge and self-expression
- when used in meditation, to enhance psychic ability and spiritual insight
- helps to overcome depression
- powerful in opening the throat chakra and encourages clear, truthful expression
- lowers blood pressure
- boosts the immune system and thyroid
- alleviates migraine headaches and insomnia
Chakra: Throat and Third Eye
Archangel: Michael, the Archangel of protection, courage and truth
Astrological Sign: Taurus and Sagittarius
My personal experience/ thought on Lapis Lazuli
I find Lapis to be one of the most powerful and beautiful stones. Very calming, yet strong. The blue in some of them is the most beautiful strong blue.
Mineral information can be obtained from mindat.org